Wednesday, June 18, 2008

deep thoughts and twinkies

Well I've survived turning 30. So far it's been pretty fantastic. Tuesday I spent the last day of my twenties with some gal pals. I met some of my teacher friends for breakfast (we decided to start a breakfast club for the summer so we could still hang out over the break). That afternoon I took my niece Emily to the mall for some shopping and our traditional trip to Sephora to beautify ourselves. Tuesday night my friend Jaclyn invited a group of us girls over to watch chic flicks and I finally got to see 27 Dresses- it was super cute! And my friend Gloria gave me some hair barrettes that only 9 year olds should wear but I love them! It was a fun day of being 29! When I got home late Tuesday night I decided to stay up a bit longer to see if I turned into a pumpkin at midnight. My best friend from high school, Dawnica, and I have this long running joke about Twinkies... One time in high school we were going off on this tirade about how when WE were out in the real world we wouldn't let anyone tell us what to do- and the spur of the moment analogy that Dawnica came up with was... "if we want to eat Twinkies at midnight in our living room floor then we will!". Since then we always joke about "eating Twinkies at midnight". So last night, I didn't have any Twinkies in the house, so instead I sat on my back deck with a glass of wine, staring at the stars, and waited for midnight. I had a little talk with Jesus. It was kind of nice to sit there and pretend to be all philosophical.


Anyways, I woke up this birthday morning and Jamie made me breakfast in bed (ok, frosted mini-wheats... but it's what I really wanted) and he gave me a cute card. Audrie made me a dirty diaper. It was a nice family moment. Then I drove to Fayetteville to meet my brother, Caleb (we share a birthday), for breakfast and to renew our driver's licence (whoo hoo!). Big day. And I know that most of you are already aware of how odd I can be. (Jamie tries to keep my weirdness in check.) But today I had to let it out. I had my driver's license picture taken with a pink feather boa around my neck!! I kind of thought the DMV people would make me take it off. They didn't. I figured I'd at least do something funny to laugh at later- well, until it expires again in 2012. Just a little memento of my 30th birthday...

Then I met Dawnica for lunch at TGIF. She was nice enough to announce that it was my birthday and they made me spin this huge "wheel of prizes". I won a free lunch- so my meal was paid for today. That was nice. After all that I went home to hang out a bit with my friend Melanie who came over to provide some moral support since she's been 30 for a few months. And finally this evening we went to the Burrow casa for a birthday dinner and cake with friends. It was so nice of them to do that!!

Whew. So that's my big day of turning 30. (Thanks to my friends and family who called or sent me all those text bday wishes today- so sweet of ya'll!) I guess tomorrow it's back to the real world.

I took this picture of Audrie today in the back seat of the car. I had bought this box of Twinkies to give one to Dawnica as a reminder of our little joke. Then for a moment I set the box in Audrie's lap and she was having such a fun time hitting her hands on the box that I just left it there for her to play with on the ride home. She fell asleep but didn't take her hand off the Twinkies. Girl after my own heart.