Tuesday, October 27, 2009

weekend in the woods

This past weekend the girls in my family got together for our annual retreat. We spend two days in a cabin and it's always so wonderful! No technology, no stress... just hanging out in the fresh air and catching up on our lives.
When we first arrived Audrie spent a long time playing in a huge pile of leaves! The sunshine and fall weather were perfect.



My niece, Emily, taught her how to throw the leaves everywhere.
Of course I had to join in the fun, too! (Thanks Emily for being on the other side of the camera for me!)


Where we stayed is SO beautiful. Here is my mom taking a walk with my nieces, Emma and Kara (with her purple parasol!).
Audrie started on the walk but quickly got distracted by an adorable fuzzy caterpillar.
And we ate alot of food, too!
And to work off the calories we took turns racing Audrie around the huge porch.
(Again, thanks to Emily for stealing my camera to get some adorable photos.)

My mom and a few of her granddaughters...
We went on a hay ride. Which I was pretty excited about. (I don't think I've ever been on a hay ride.)
We had a huge bonfire and roasted marshmallows and sang songs.
Roasting the perfectly golden brown marshmallows is quite a science. :)

Audrie stuffed her little cheeks full of smores!
And she actually did a really good job of being safe around the fire. I was nervous at first but she kept her distance.
On the ride back we sang more songs (mostly led by Kara and Emma)! I was so proud of how my nieces played so well with Audrie- letting her tag along all night with them. They are so sweet with her. Emma even taught us a new acting game that is hilarious. We stayed up way too late, but it was really fun to spend so much quality time with these girls.
We posed for a "morning after... looking pretty rough" photo the next morning. (I was foolish in thinking that Audrie would be so cute and cuddly sharing a bed with me... but I didn't get any sleep with her feet or rear in my face all night. She tosses and turns so much!)
But I really had a great time and hope more of my sisters and nieces will be able to come next year. And, who knows, I might be adding one more niece to the group too??