Sunday, September 08, 2013

sidewalk sightword game

 Sure, about 99% of my ideas come from Pinterest, but the other day I actually came up with an idea that was all on my own. So proud of myself. ha!

Audrie has 25 sight words she has to learn each month in Kindergarten and we've been working on this latest batch for a few days. (Flash cards in the car, homework sheets, etc). But the other day I got this idea to make her a huge square grid on the driveway with chalk of her newest 25 words and make a game of it.
 First I would call out words and she had to see if she could leap from one word to the next. Uh, yeh, she loved that!
 Then she danced around and sang until I called stop and whatever words she was on she had to say that word.
 Then she had to run in order through the grid and see how many she could say before she missed one.
 She is competitive like her mommy, so she did get a little miffed when she got stumped.
 But her teacher also taught her how to do tally marks in score keeping, so Audrie had fun keeping score of all the correct words she got.
 It was a great activity for this energetic girl who loves a challenge.


I think "sidewalk sightwords" might be a new favorite around our house!