Thursday, November 08, 2007

Special Memories

A few weekends ago the girls in my family all got together for a girl's night at a cabin on the lake near Branson. We were celebrating my Grandma Allamon's birthday and spent time looking through old photos and jewelry she left us when she passed away this spring. It was alot of fun to just take a break from the fast pace of life and relax with all the girls. We ate way too much food, stayed up too late, and played a pretty hilarious game of Cranium.
I came home with a couple of really neat pieces of jewelry of my Grandma's, but my favorite was a beautiful Italian cameo pendant that her husband bought during WWII when he was stationed in Italy. I researched a little about it and found alot of neat information about these pieces (ranging in price from $300-$2,000). I had it polished and strung on a dainty chain. I love wearing it and hope I can pass it on for generations to come.

And here are some of my favorite pictures of my Grandma's:

(This is from 1933 at the World's Fair- my Grandma, Eileen, was 14 years old.)


(This is of Eileen and Charlie Cummings as newlyweds.)



(I love this picture because my Grandma is about 6 months pregnant in this photo... and is still classy in her heels and pearls- I love the 40's!)



(And this one is neat because my mom, on the left, and her mom and sister are all wearing different stages of heels. My mom explained how special it was to finally be old enough to wear pumps or heels for the first time.)