Wednesday, September 03, 2008

adoptive lil sis

This beautiful young lady is a former student of mine who is in jr high now. I have many students that I still stay in touch with through the years, and some, like Cynthia here, find a special place in my heart. She called me this past weekend to see if we could get together to catch up and she wanted to see Audrie. So the three of us spent a few hours Saturday morning at the mall shopping, eating and talking girl talk (even 13 year old girl talk is nice sometimes). Cynthia's parents don't speak English, but I like to try to pretend that I know enough Spanish to get by. So when I picked her up Saturday I went inside and "talked" to her mom for a few minutes. With my limited Spanish skills and her mom's bright smile and nods, I think we made a good connection (enough that she trusted me to take her daughter out for a few hours)! It's moments like these with Cynthia that remind me how much I love my profession.
"Friendship is the hardest thing in the world to explain. It's not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything." -Muhammad Ali