Monday, July 20, 2009

a very special lesson

So for awhile now Audrie has been able to climb up on the piano bench by herself and it's not unusual for me to hear her throughout the day playing the piano (aka- banging out notes to her own little atonal melodies that make my ears cringe). But the other day I walked by to see this in progress and had to grab my camera. Audrie giving her first piano lesson...
She was obviously explaining to her baby doll all about major and minor chords, sharps and flats, and harmonic intervals...
And then she banged the baby doll's hand on the keys.
More teaching...
More banging.
I can't think of where she learned this violent process of teaching... At one point she was even banging the poor doll's head on the keys.
But apparently the method was working. The doll wasn't complaining and Audrie was having a good time.
Then a hug after the lesson. Good job!
Maybe I should give this method a try on my piano students this week. Or just let Audrie teach them!