Sunday, March 07, 2010

let the nesting begin

I am dying to get started on Annie's nursery! I'm trying to capture a whimsical floral theme for the nursery without making it look like Easter in her room. I'm using a lot of turquoise color, too. Here are some random pictures I found that sort of describe the theme I'm trying for...
It's been slow because we are going to use the same nursery furniture (crib, changing table, dresser) for Annie that we use for Audrie. Which means we had to get new furniture for Audrie. (We actually got bunk beds for Audrie's room... planning ahead a little.) But we want to wait until spring break when we will have more time to assemble all the furniture and make all the room switches. (We are moving our guest room upstairs and our old guest room will be Annie's new nursery.) But this weekend we went ahead and started a few little steps towards the nursery which was exciting for me!
I modge podged (is that a verb?) some scrapbook paper on wooden letters for the wall.

I'm going to put a quote on the wall but haven't chosen one I love yet. This one is cute... "Where flowers bloom so does hope." -Lady Bird Johnson. Or maybe "thank heaven for little girls". I also saw a cute nursery that just had "You are loved" on the wall and I liked that, too.

Above flowers I got off Etsy and a lampshade I hot glued some petals on.
And Jamie was so wonderful yesterday in helping me construct a cornice board for the window. Which meant he got to use a lot of power tools! :)
I sketched a design I wanted and he sawed and sanded and drilled... and made me a huge wooden frame that I wrapped in batting and fabric.
It turned out better than I hoped! I'm so glad to have a handy man around! You don't get the full effect in the photo but it's really pretty wonderful. Way to go, Jamie! I'm going to hang white sheer curtains under it and tie them back with some ribbon.
I'm really looking forward to getting more done in this room, so when I can't sleep at night I can sit in her nursery and look at all the adorableness that awaits her!
Anyways, that's just a little sneak peek at the beginnings of Annie's nursery. I'll post more photos when it's finished!