Sunday, October 24, 2010

zip!!!!

This weekend we went with our friends, Kate and Dave, to do the new zipline course near the Buffalo River. It was SOOOOOOOooo fun! I highly recommend it to everyone. I really hope I get to do it again soon.


Jamie did make me hold a bird at the check-in center (I have a bird phobia) so that wasn't cool. But since it was a day for adventure I gave in.


We all got harnessed in our gear and cute helmets...





And tried to look brave...


The gave us a big speech about safety and all the guidelines, blah blah, and off we went!








Kate made it look easy...


I was so not graceful the whole time but I had a BLAST. It was tough to coordinate the landings at each platform, so after a while I gave up on mastering it and just went flailing into each tree stand. But still so FUN!


And it was really nice to get to spend some quality time with Jamie. A HUGE thank you to our moms for keeping the girls so we could spend the day together!


I did squeal quite a bit even though it wasn't really super scary... just the perfect amount of thrilling. I got a little nervous each time I had to step off the platform into thin air, but I was never too scared. (I did come pretty close to smacking into a tree at one point but it was my own stupid fault... the guide wasn't too happy with me.)





It was so fun spending the day with Kate and Dave, too! (The weather was AMAZING and the scenery was gorgeous.)


Jamie's mom let me borrow her little point-and-shoot camera for the day since I wasn't about to bring my big fat Canon camera to swing through the trees. (So these unedited photos are straight from her camera card... thank you, Donna, for letting me borrow it!)


The whole tour lasted about 3 hours (but it did not seem very long at all). The kicker was at the very end, we got to the last platform and they mentioned... oh, by the way- to get down from this last 50 foot platform you have to rappel down off the side. I did get a little scared then (I think Jamie even got a little nervous too!).


(Here's the view over the side of the edge looking down to the ground...)


And Dave rappelling down...




Here are two short videos I took. This first one is of Jamie (we had to yell out our name and "zipping" loudly each time before we took off, so that's what we are yelling about)...

(Here is the youtube link.)

and this second video is of me, shooting the video, while I'm zipping along (it's a little dizzy-ing, so be warned...)!

(HERE is the youtube link.)

If I remember correctly there were about 8 ziplines that we did and they were each different. Some were longer lines (slower) and some where short and fast. And each cable was tightened differently so sometimes there would be a little DROP as you stepped off the platform and I loved that. We were in a group of ten people so it was fun getting to know them. And at the end we all rode in these Jurassic Park style jeeps back to the top.

Anyways, tons of fun!!