Saturday, April 21, 2012

a reminder

Tonight, when I was putting Audrie to bed, I got a nice reminder of why I keep this blog updated. Lately, Audrie has been on a kick of wanting me to tell her stories from when she was a baby. So I've been telling her things I can remember that stick out in my mind. But I was starting to run out of story ideas, so I went and got the blog book from 2008 (I use blurb.com to print our blog into books). I laid down with Audrie and we flipped through the book together. She loved it! (and I did, too)

So I decided to try posting some more 'every day' things to the blog, so we'll have these memories preserved, too.

This next picture is a little dated (that's why there is no grass or leaves on the trees), but I like it because it's just another day on the job for Jamie.

 I haven't said it enough lately but it is such a HUGE blessing to me that Jamie gets to stay home with our daughters during this time of our lives. My job is so emotionally draining that I don't think I could handle knowing that Audrie and Annie were in daycare all day long, too. When I'm having a especially tough day at school, it's nice to be able to call Jamie and hear what is going on with the girls. And, yes, it is tough for Jamie, too, to be a stay-at-home-dad. He misses his co-workers and aspects of his career. But he always tells me that he likes doing it and we truly do appreciate that he is getting this daddy/daughter bonding time with them!
 Their typical day is 'park-nap-park', as Jamie calls it. And I've probably mentioned this before, but there are a billion parks in this city. We honestly find new parks every week that the girls love. Each park has it's own unique play equipment, ages that it's geared for, grassy space, or dirt/sand piles which the girls love digging in. Whatever it takes to get them worn out for naptime.

Both girls are still great nappers. They eat lunch about 12:30, and nap from about 1:00-3:30 (but sometimes will nap until 4-4:30)! Since Audrie turned 4, she will occasionally not take a nap, but she's good about staying in her bed for a few hours. If Jamie has time, he will take them back outside before I get home at 5:30.
 When it's rainy or cold outside, they love to watch cartoons or play on our electronics. I couldn't find Annie the other day for a second. I found her in her bed where she had drug the iPad in her crib with her and was watching a cartoon on Netflix.
Annie can completely navigate our electronics. She logs in, finds her favorite apps or videos, and has a great time. Her all-time favorite is to watch Annie (the musical) on Netflix. It's adorable that she likes that one. I think because it says her name over and over.
 Audrie and Annie do play really well together. Of course, they fight, too, but I think being home together every day actually has helped them become really close. This Fall they both will be doing more pre-school time, so it will be interesting to see how that changes their time they spend together.
 We are excited for Annie to be enrolled in her own class a few hours a week this Fall. She is such a people-person that I know she will have a blast in her own classroom full of two year olds. At least we know everyone in that room will get plenty of hugs! :)
 We still don't know what God has in store for our future- how long we will be in NYC, where life will take us next, etc. We are just trying to live in the moment. (But that doesn't mean I don't dream about moving back to Arkansas, building a cozy house in the country with a huge front porch, and getting some chickens and a big garden...!)