Friday, August 03, 2007

Front Porch Livin'

My final project in photography class was to find a photographer's work who I admired and try to mimic their style. So I found this great book of photography by Leslie Parr Sutton entitled "Ozark Elders". In the 1980's she traveled around the hills of the Ozarks and took photos and stories of interesting older folks she encountered. So, that's what I did for my project! My dad drove me around the backwoods of Kingston and Huntsville on Thursday and introduced me to several elders he knew (mostly through my brother Eric). I took people's pictures and listened to their stories- it was great! I really enjoyed the whole afternoon with my dad and it made me miss living on a dirt road when the big excitement was wondering if the creek would get too high to cross the low-water bridge. I took alot of photos but here are just a few of my favorites from the project.